Friday, January 30, 2009

Hello, My Name is Kati, and I'm an AudioPhile...

So, I was checking out a link in an email that Mom sent me. This link takes you to a site where you can pinpoint what song was the number one in the country on a specific day in history. The first amazing thing about this site is that you can roll the dates back to the 1800s! The second is simply that it can remind you of songs you forgot you ever knew!

I decided to go through and find my birthdays and other special days, and that got me to thinking...this site tells me what the nation had to say about popular songs, but the songs say NOTHING about me. I think that's a little unfair, don't you? Because of this, I decided to make a few lists of my own to counterbalance things a little. Some of these songs you'll know and remember. Others, you've probably never heard. But there's a site that I can recommend where you can listen to just about anything you want. ProjectPlaylist is the name of the site. If you know the name of a song, the artist, or both, you can search it and listen to it. There's no sign-up, no fees or anything. I wouldn't put up a link for people to go to if there was any of that involved.

That being said...enjoy!

My Life (According to Top 40 Radio)

Birthdays (Valentine's Day)

1984 "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club

1985 "Careless Whisper" by Wham! featuring George Michael

1986 "How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston

1987 "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi

1988 "Seasons Change" by Exposé

1989 "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul

1990 "Opposites Attract" by Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair

1991 "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" by C+C Music Factory

1992 "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred

1993 "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston

1994 "The Power of Love" by Celine Dion

1995 "Creep" by TLC

1996 "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men

1997 "Un-Break My Heart" by Toni Braxton 1998 "Nice & Slow" by Usher

1999 "Angel of Mine" by Monica

2000 "Thank God I Found You" by Mariah Carey featuring Joe & 98°

2001 "Ms. Jackson" by OutKast

2002 "U Got It Bad" by Usher

2003 "All I Have" by Jennifer Lopez featuring LL Cool J

2004 "The Way You Move" by OutKast featuring Sleepy Brown

2005 "Let Me Love You" by Mario

2006 "Check On It" by Beyoncé featuring Slim Thug

2007 "Irreplaceable" by Beyoncé

2008 "Low" by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain

Matt’s Birth

August 7, 2000 "Incomplete" by Sisqó

High School Graduation

June 2, 2002 "Foolish" by Ashanti

College Graduation

May 5, 2007 "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne

Wedding Day

September 17, 2005 "Gold Digger" by Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx

Divorce Day

May 1, 2008 "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne featuring Static Major

First Day in TN

Sept 8, 2008 "Whatever You Like" by T.I.

And now...

My Life (According to Me)

"Angel in My Eyes" by John Michael Montgomery

…because my mother will always have an angel in me

"Cheek to Cheek" by Fred Astaire

…because Matt slept so soundly when I sang to him

"When We Die" by Bowling for Soup

…because life’s too short not to make amends

"Girl Next Door" by Saving Jane

…because that’s how I felt for a long time

"18 and Life" by Skid Row

…because I love my brother more than he knows

"Boondocks" by Little Big Town

…because I’m proud of where I came from

"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins (or, the cast of the PSC production)

…because I lived a dream by singing and dancing onstage

"Crash and Burn" by Savage Garden

…because I’d do anything for the people I care about

"Extraordinary" by Liz Phair

…because I am

"I Hope You Dance" by Leeann Womack

…because I did

"I’ll Stand by You" by The Pretenders

…because I know my daddy will always be there

"The Story" by Brandi Carlile

…because I’d be nothing without the people I love and who love me

"Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns N Roses

...because I’m the proudest aunt in the world

What follows is a playlist that was made for me by BJ. He left me a series of notes one night when he went to sleep before I came home, and once I traced the notes to his laptop, I found a website pulled up and instructions that said "Press PLAY". This is the playlist he created for me, to say everything he can't find the words to say himself.

For Kati

"Invincible" by Crossfade

"Far Away" by Nickelback

"Mine" by Taproot

"Until the Day I Die" by Story of the Year

"Broken" by Seether feat. Amy Lee

"Right Here in My Arms" by HIM

"Fill Me Up" by Staind

"Epiphany" by Staind

"Seize The Day" by Avenged Sevenfold

"I Miss You" by Blink 182

"Calling You" by Blue October

"Love Song" by 311

"Amber" by 311

"When Heaven’s Not Far Away" by Cold

"Broken" by 12 Stones

"Crash" by 12 Stones

"The Reason" by Hoobastank

"All for You" by Sister Hazel

"One Thing" by Finger Eleven

"Dream" by Cranberries

"Lightning Crashes" by Live

"What Do I Have to Do" by Stabbing Westward

"I'd Do Anything" by Simple Plan

"The Way I Feel" by 12 Stones

In reponse, I made a playlist for him. Here it is!

For Him

"Surface this River" by Paradise Daze

"Human" by The Pretenders

"Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickelback

"Anywhere" by Evanescence

"#1 Crush" by Garbage

"Bring it on Home" by Little Big Town

"Firefly" by Breaking Benjamin

"Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling

"Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven

"Thunder" by Boys Like Girls

"Fall for You" by Secondhand Serenade

"Vulnerable" by Secondhand Serenade

"As Lovers Go" by Dashboard Confessional

"Broken" by Seether feat. Amy Lee

"Funeral of a Good Girl" by Bif Naked

"Amazing" by Aerosmith

"Got a Feeling" by Flickerstick

"Everything" by Lifehouse

"Angel of Mine" by Amanda Somerville

Finally, I figured I’d share some of my oddities with you! Some of these are pretty outrageous, some are before my time (thus it might seem unlikely that I’d take to them), others just don’t exactly seem like my style and some are just flat-out shameful…but, ya know what? Hey, Mikey! She LIKES it!

I Like It (And You Probably Didn’t Know!)

"And She Was" by Talking Heads

"Those Were the Days" by Mary Hopkins

"Dirty Diana" by Michael Jackson

"Shake It" by Metro Station

"Forever Young" by Rod Stewart

"One Tin Soldier" by Coven

"Wild Wild West" by Escape Club

"Vincent" by Don McClean

"Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" by Warren Zevon

"The Ocean Doesn’t Want Me Today" by Tom Waits

"Narcotic" by Liquido

"Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)" by Cobra Starship

"My Paper Heart" by All-American Rejects

"Copa Cabana" by Barry Manilow

"Belleau Wood" by Garth Brooks

"Beyond the Sea" by Frank Sinatra

"The Tide is High" by Blondie

"Hey Leonardo" by Blessed Union of Souls

"Feel Good, Inc" by Gorillaz

"Goody Two-Shoes" by Adam Ant

"Green Fields of the France" by Standard, The Corsairs version

"Dance Commander" by Electric Six

"Play Some Rock" by Liquido

"I Love Myself Today" by Bif Naked

"Here Comes the Rain" by The Mavericks

"Ghost in this House" by Shenandoah

I hope you've all enjoyed this little musical adventure! Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Cool! SO I'm not the only person with an "eclectic" playlist! *LOL* I am not the least bit shypod about it - my MP3 player has quite a mix and I enjoy every song on it! Hmmm...might have to do an answer on my own blog to show what I mean. Not sure my choices will surprise anyone but you never know. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Girlie! I've always been so glad you liked the "oldies" I sang to you so long ago. Eclectic is what we are, do, and listen to! But, hey, I don't see "Electric Avenue" in your audiophilings! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acually, mother-dear, since you mentioned that...BJ unwittingly bought me a pair of electric blues! They're a more grown-up version (not hiney-floss, I promise!), but they're still the same retina-shocking color! And for the record, I can't look at that particular pair underthings without resisting the urge to sing! Now THERE'S a story he hasn't heard! LMAO

    ReplyDelete